Latest Edinburgh Blog Posts
The Edinburgh hotel market changes quickly, new serviced apartments open up every month, and cheap hotels are transformed into stylish budget accommodation at as fast a rate. 2015 looks to be a very exciting year for Edinburgh, with the summer festivals being enlarged and extended to host more venues, shows and audiences.
You may already be aware of some of the superb cheap hotels Edinburgh has to offer - there are loads of them, you'll be delighted to hear - but I wanted to bring to your attention, bargain hunters, a few of the recent and upcoming hotel developments coming to this fine city.
These 5 hotels I've highlighted below offer great-value-for-money as well as offering guests a stylish and elegant experience. Anyway, let's crack on with my 5 New Cheap Hotels Edinburgh For 2015 (in no particular order).
- Stay Central Hotel on Edinburgh's Cowgate is a newly refurbished property, with a smart cool youth feel to it. Great bargains by had hear for groups by reserving one or more of the hotel's 6-bed rooms. The hotel is right at the centre of Edinburgh's vibrant nightlife, and has its own busy bar and budget restaurant. The hotel has put a quirky twist on things, with characterful rooms and interesting fitness offerings (urban gym and cycle tours). Get in now before the word gets out to the rest of the world and their mother.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre - this was the old Point Hotel which had seen better days, but now it has been transformed into the very nice and very affordable DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre (quite a mouthful but certainly worth taking a look at for great room rates). The hotel is very central, as the name suggests, and is only a short walk from the Edinburgh Exhibition Centre - some of the rooms and suites have views of Edinburgh Castle. The hotel boasts its own Brasserie and entertaining bar (there's also a gym to burn off all the excess from the restaurant and bar). This hotel is guaranteed to be a rip-roaring success in 2015, get some of the bargain action and get it booked.
- Ocean Hostel - if you haven't explored Leith yet then take a look at the supremely cheap Ocean Hostel for a cheap stay. For thos of you who don't know, Leith is a town to the east of Edinburgh. The place of leith is a bit rough around the edges but the nightlife is great, with proper pubs and some of the finest restaurants in the Western hemisphere - I joke you not, just check out the Michelin starred restaurants down by the Shore area of Leith. The hostel itself is bright, basic and clean.
- Cloudberry Apartment - this property offers a truly unique stay as its the only one available on this site. The site is in the lovely Prestonfield corner of Edinburgh, in the south side of the city. Inside this 4-star Victorian property you can enjoy free WiFi throughout and a car parkave you a wee fortune in Edinburgh. the 2-bed apartment sleeeps 1- 4 people with the option of an extra bed for a fifth person. By staying here you're only a mile from the Royal Mile and a short stroll to Arthur's Seat and Holyrood Park. Oh, and just across the road is the new refurbished Royal Commonwealth Swimming Pool, which is great for kiddies (there's a soft-play too).
- Fettes Apartments - just north of Edinburgh city you'll find the very affordable and very fun Fettes Apartments. They are, of course, just a short way from the famous Fettes School. The property I'm suggesting you look at is an elegant modern townhouse, which has its own roof garden - ideal for those long summer nights and for looking out at the gorgeous Edinburgh skyline. The house is an ideal base for families or groups with two double bedrooms, one bedroom with two single beds and three luxurious bathrooms. The accommodation provides luxurious surroundings and lots of technology for your tech-minded guests. Free on-site parking is available which will save you a good whack of change - lov
To be sure of getting the very best room deal in these cool and budget hotels, make sure to use our search tool (see above). Our search technology compares bargain room rates across 100s of travel websites all at once so that you're guaranteed the lowest online rate. Please try us today. Jill, xxxx.
Are you planning a visit to Edinburgh for New Year's Eve (or Hogmanay as we call it locally) 2015? If so, now is the time to book your accommodation!
Edinburgh's Hogmanay, the biggest street party in the world, runs for 3 whole days from the 30th December 2014 to the 1st January 2015.
Tip: Most hotels and apartments in Edinburgh require a 3 or 4 minimum night stay over New Year's Eve so please keep this in mind when planning travel.
Tip: Lothian buses run bus services from the city centre after midnight on Hogmanay.
Tip: To buy official tickets for Edinburgh's Hogmanay 2015 click here.
Are you looking for a cheap hotel deal for your stag (or hen) trip to Edinburgh in 2015? Well I have a couple of beauties here for you. Both offer great room rates, both are very stylish and both will put you bang in the heart of Edinburgh's lively nightlife scene. Oh, and did I mention that both have their own bars, which happen to be some of the best bars in the city for stag groups.
So which hotels are there? Well, they are the Grassmarket Hotel and Stay Central Hotel.
- The Grassmarket Hotel was totally refurbished a couple of years back, and was transformed from a chap and shabby hotel, to a cheap and super cool destination hotel. Set right on the corner of Edinburgh's legendary Grassmarket, guests won't have to venture far to experience the lively bars and superb restaurants that the Old Town of Edinburgh has in numbers. The Grassmarket Hotel is conjoined with the legendary Biddy Mulligans Irish Bar. Biddy's is a venue that most stag groups will visit whilst in the city, and rightly so, the venue is bouncing at all times.
Back to the hotel itself, The Grassmarket Hotel rooms are wickedly kitted out in contemporary Scottish designs and full of smart wee gadgets and space saving kit. There are loads of quad rooms available too so you can drive down those per person rates for your stag weekend. You'll love the room experience at this great base of a hotel.
But don't get me wrong, this hotel is not all about stag and hen groups. The hotel is fantastically family friendly too, and looks after hundreds of corporate guests throughout the year.
* Stay Central Hotel has been refurbished even more recently than The Grassmarket hotel and is looking extremely swish. The BIG plus for stag and hen groups is that the hotel has rooms to sleep six, which makes your per person cost a breeze for your group members. The second big plus is that the hotel is located right on the Cowgate so you're only a short walk from all the brilliant bars, nightclubs and restaurants in the Old Town of Edinburgh - don't bother getting a taxi anywhere around here, just walk. Thirdly, the rooms are cool and a pleasure to hang out in and get ready in before the big night out. Fourthly, the hotel has its own restaurant downstairs where you'll be served up magnificent breakfasts, dinners and teas.
Stay Central Hotel is right next to the lively Three Sisters Bar, one of the city's best known bars - best known for being a magic night out, and a great place to catch football, rugby or curling matched on the telly (there are lots of tellies, many of the enormous).
The beauty (or should I say one of the beauties) of Edinburgh in recent years is that standards at cheaper hotels have risen tremendously, whilst room rates have remained pretty much where they are, so you get a lot more bang for your buck. The Grassmarket Hotel and Stay Central reflect this very pleasant trend - well done guys.
To book your cheap stag or hen weekend accommodation here in gorgeous Edinburgh please find the very best deal by searching using our search tool (linked to above). We guarantee the lowest online rates by comparing prices across hundreds of online websites. Save money today and leave yourself with more spending money for the nightlife.
Are you looking for somewhere to escape to for January 2015? Take a look at Edinburgh. All the city's main attractions are open, there are loads of sales on in the shops and hotels are offering fantastic rates to draw guests in during a quiet time of the year for hoteliers.
Edinburgh is a romantic place but is even more so during the dark nights, when open fires are blazing and visitors are wrapped up in their finest winter gear. Edinburgh is also very much open for business, so if you are looking for a cheap time to visit to generate new business then grab a hotel deal while you can.
To help visitors find some great hotels and great deals, I have taken a look at some of the great room rates available this January and highlighted below the accommodation providers who are offering real value-for-money. For more info, photos and reviews of a hotel simply click on its name - you'll also be able to compare prices across all the leading travel websites at once. Let's begin;
- Chester Residence (5-Star) if you are after absolute opulence then take a look at the great offers available at the magnificent Chester Residence. This is, without doubt, one of the best serviced apartment buildings anywhere on the planet, never mind Edinburgh. These fabulously fitted suites and apartments in the West End of Edinburgh are backed-up with superb service. Check this one out of you'd like to experience a lot of luxury for not so much money this January - great fro romantic retreaters.
- Fraoch House (4-Star) if you'd prefer to stay at an excellent and friendly guest house then take a look at Fraoch House in the East End of Edinburgh. You'll be very well looked after here and you'll only be a short walk from Edinburgh Playhouse, Princes Street, Broughton Street and Calton Hill.
- The Victorian Town House (4-Star) this traditional and friendly town house B&B in the West End has been getting rave reviews and the rates for January are very pleasing. The B&B is well placed for the EICC and Murrayfield Stadium, and with meeting space this property is well suited for business travellers.
- Culane House Hotel Edinburgh (4-Star) this smart and stylish hotel in Leith overlooks the local park and is a short walk from all the entertainments down at The Shore in Leith. Why not reserve a table at one of Leith's excellent hotels and make a romantic weekend of it?
- Oakhill Apartments Edinburgh (5-Star) staying in Leith, the apartments from Oakhill are modern, spacious and very luxurious. Plus, the staff here are great and will go out of their way to make your stay most memorable - or stay out of your way if you'd prefer absolute tranquility. Parking is free and plentiful at these stylish apartments - just jump on the bus outside the apartments and you'll in central Edinburgh within a few minutes. If you fancy picking up a bargain at the shops this January, you can pick up a bargain at Oakhill Apartments too.
We love nagging a bargain here at Edinbrugh Hotel Deals but that doesn't mean you have to stay in a hostel or an ultra-cheap hotel to save money. There are also loads of great deals to be had on boutique hotels and luxury hotels in Edinburgh.
Today, I'm going to concentrate on boutique hotels and highlight a few of my favourites for 2015.
First of all let's have a quick discussion on what a boutique hotel is. Well, there's no clear definition but I would say a boutique hotel in Edinburgh is somewhere that is quite small, stylish, independent (i.e. not part of a large hotel chain), and full of character, be that old-world charm or contemporary elegance. I hope that's made things a bit clearer. The great thing about boutique hotels is that their room rates are often managed in-house, rather than by a far-off central office, as is the
Anyway, let's dive in to My Favourite Boutique Hotels Edinburgh In 2015 - in no particular order.
- G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh (5-Star) - this magnificent hotel (formerly owned my the Missoni fashion dynasty) is a pleasure to behold. It sits on The Royal Mile and boasts a super cool bar and an award-winning restaurant. Rooms are supremely stylish with bold colours and designs that are retained throughout the property. The strong colours and textures may not be to everyone's tastes but fashionistas will love it. Oh, and all this glamour is backed-up by impeccable service.
- The Howard (5-Star) - this stylish townhouse (well, 3 townhouses actually) is a refined and romantic masterpiece in Edinburgh's hotel scene. At The Howard you will be waited for by a team of butlers, who will look after your every whim. Rooms are deeply comfortable and wonderfully 'Old Edinburgh', with rich textiles in deep colours.
- The Edinburgh Residence (5-Star) - this wonderful collection of spaces boasts 29 luxury town house suites. And luxury is the key concept held throughout the building. Service, facilities and detail is supported by the most luxurious of offerings. The Edinburgh Residence is incredibly popular with business people returning to Edinburgh and who demand the finest in boutique accommodation.
- Nira Caledonia (5-Star) - this magnificent and unique boutique hotel strives to achieve the finest in contemporary environment with the most impressive in personal service. This boutique hotel makes the most memorable in romantic retreats, its secluded location in the New Town help make it feel like you're staying in a secret retreat in the middle of the city. Several rooms have hot tubs, which can make a romantic break in Edinburgh even more romantic.
- Kingsburgh House (5-Star) - this impressive villa in the West End of Edinburgh is probably the smallest on my favourite boutique hotel list here today. There are only 6 bedroom to choose from, so choose quickly. All rooms have romantic four-poster beds to relax in, and rooms have all the luxurious extras required for a special stay in Edinburgh. The hotel's owners are also very hands on and want to ensure you have a wonderful stay in their property, and come back again. The boutique hotel's location near Murrayfield Stadium makes it a fantastic place to stay for guests looking for a truly unique rugby-centred break.
Although my favourite boutique hotels all appear to be 5-Star hotels, and may be at the limit of your budget, don't fret, there are many 4-Star and 3-Star boutique hotels that offer magnificently stylish and romantic venues for a stay in Edinburgh. However, I don't have the space here to cover these slightly more affordable Boutique Hotels Edinburgh but I will return to this topic very soon with more ideas for your stay in our city. To start searching today for the right boutique hotel deal for you just click on the search page above.